Whether you’re an avid reader, recently joined a book club, or need a good vacation read, this summer reading list is chock-full of options to help you assemble your own wish list. From classics to new best sellers, educational guides to easy, entertaining reads, there’s something for everyone on our 2021 recommendations. Now all you have to do is find the perfect spot in your Capitol City Home, grab your favorite summer beverage, and read on.
If you’ve never taken a literary trip into the past and explored the worlds of Jane Austen, Mark Twain, or Jack London, summer is the perfect time to go on some of the most unforgettable adventures. These reads are perfect to pair with morning coffee on your Capitol City Homes'porch while you enjoy the summer sounds of the Carolinas.
- Pride and Prejudice
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Great Gatsby
- Jane Eyre
- Crime and Punishment
- The Call of the Wild
New & Noteworthy
Your turn to host book club? Stay up to date with the most popular, on the rise titles of the year — these are the books you won’t be able to put down! Easily fit everyone in the open concept living and dining area of your home or find a shared space in your new home communityto occupy.
- The Last Thing He Told Me— As a selection for Reese Witherspoon's book club, we can already tell this will be a page turner!
“A ‘gripping’ (Entertainment Weekly) mystery about a woman who thinks she’s found the love of her life—until he disappears.”
- Malibu Rising— A summer-themed book to truly set the mood!
“Four famous siblings throw an epic party to celebrate the end of the summer. But over the course of twenty-four hours, their lives will change forever.”
- Greenlights— A biography with a twist, the perfect easy read.
“From the Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey, an unconventional memoir filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction.”
- Things We Lost to the Water— Reminding us of the power and importance of family.
“A stunning debut novel about an immigrant Vietnamese family who settles in New Orleans and struggles to remain connected to one another as their lives are inextricably reshaped.”
- The Wife Upstairs— Suspense, romance, and thrill combine to create a much-anticipated book of the year.
“A delicious twist on a Gothic classic, The Wife Upstairspairs Southern charm with atmospheric domestic suspense, perfect for fans of B.A. Paris and Megan Miranda.”
- The Lost Apothecary— A then and now storyline based in England.
“A forgotten history. A secret network of women. A legacy of poison and revenge. Welcome to The Lost Apothecary....”
If you’re more of a “read it to learn it” type of bookworm, here are some fantastic options to help you perfect a craft or start a new hobby this season!
- The Backyard Birdwatcher's Bible— A book the whole family can enjoy! What better time to learn all about the different chirps you’ve been hearing outside your window?
“An informative and eye-catching reference book for beginner and intermediate backyard bird enthusiasts.”
- Rodney Scott's World of BBQ— Nothing says summer like fresh-off-the-grill BBQ! Master this delicious hobby and share the benefits of your education with friends and family!
“In the first cookbook by a Black pitmaster, James Beard Award-winning chef Rodney Scott celebrates an incredible culinary legacy through his life story, family traditions, and unmatched dedication to his craft.”
- Home Stories— Does the warmer weather have you itching to freshen up your home decor? Get inspired by award-winning interior designer, Kim Leggett.
“Learn how to create rooms filled with warmth, meaning, and your own unique story of home.”
Entertainment & Humor
Looking for something light and fun? Here are some easy reads when you have a few extra minutes between all your favorite summer activities.
- The Best of Me— A bestseller of 2020, this witty book was described as “Genius” in a New York Times book review.
“David Sedaris’s best stories and essays, spanning his remarkable career - as selected and read by the author himself. Featuring fresh and classic recordings, including a new essay and an interview exclusive to the audiobook.”
- Dear Girls— Comedian and actress, Ali Wong, will bring you belly laughs and relatable stories in this New York Times Bestseller.
“Ali Wong's heartfelt and hilarious letters to her daughters covering everything they need to know in life, like the unpleasant details of dating, how to be a working mom in a male-dominated profession, and how she trapped their dad.”
- Hey Mom— Emmy Award-winning comedian, Louie Anderson will have you in tears from laughter and sadness in his fourth book, dedicated to his mom.
“With wry wit and poignant humor, Louie Anderson shares his journey of turning life’s challenges into joy, as well as plenty of wisdom he’s still discovering from his late mother.”
No matter what type of reader you are, what books you’re interested in, or where you prefer to sit and read, summer is the quintessential time to check off a literary bucket list.
Be sure to tag us on Instagram in your favorite summer reading spots in your CapitolCity Home! #imaginelifeinside