Honking geese heading south, leaves crunching underfoot, a sip of pumpkin spice latte, hayrides at dusk, and the thrill of your team scoring a touchdown. These are just a few of the distinctive events, sights, sounds, tastes and smells that let us know fall has arrived.
With summer now a brief memory, it is time to pack away those pool towels and bright florals, replace your peach pie and iced drinks, opting instead for a more seasonal vibe within the spaces created for you by new home builders Capitol City Homes.
From seasonal scents to cozy bedding, we have scouted some autumn trends to help inspire your fall home update.
Throw pillows, glass pumpkins, and candles will brighten your spacious Capitol City Homes’ open living spaces in seasonal shades of oranges, reds and yellows. We recently discovered Target’s Project 62: Fall Ideas, Inspiration & Trends, an extensive collection of wall and door art, accent pillows, lamps, blankets, throws and more that only looks expensive. Of course you can always bring on those gorgeous fall blues as well!
Picture a relaxing afternoon on the rear deck of your Capitol City Home in Raleigh, NC, taking in views of the changing foliage, a steaming mug of your favorite pumpkin spice beverage in your hand. It just does not get any better than this! From Starbucks’ seasonal lattes and candles scented with notes of cinnamon to delicious homemade treats, we have found some trending fall tastes and smells—many of which can be purchased on amazon.com.
- Starbucks VIA Instant Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Krusteaz Pumpkin Spice Bread Mix
- Pillsbury Ready to Bake! Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Chips
- Godiva Milk Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Bar
- Jelly Belly Grab & Go Pumpkin Pie Jelly Beans
- Yankee Candle Spiced Pumpkin Large Jar Candle
- Nest Fragrances Pumpkin Chai Reed Diffuser
Imagine the whiff of sweet-smelling pumpkin spice bread cooling on your gorgeous granite kitchen countertop. Or the delightful aroma of pumpkin spice drifting from a burning candle placed on the mantle over your tile-surround fireplace.
Your dining table—idyllically centered in your spacious Capitol City Homes’ dining room—is perfect for displaying autumn’s beauty. Use fresh cut fall and neutral color flowers, dramatic candles and candle holders, and showy centerpieces of gourds and pumpkins to create festive table decor. We were inspired by Overstock’s take on table décor in 10 Stylish Fall Tablescapes.
Certain scents aptly named Autumn Harvest, Leaves in the Meadow, Pumpkin Pie Delight, and Warm Apple Crisp just seem right wafting through the rooms of your Capitol City Home in and around the Triangle, NC area. While scented candles and store-bought air sprays can closely imitate those classic autumn aromas, you can make your home smell like fall with the help of essential oils and other natural elements.
- Essential Oil Diffusing Blend: Create your own essential oil blend for a DIY autumn scent. Diffuse 4 drops bergamot, 3 drops lemon, 3 drops Elemi, 2 drops wintergreen. For additional fall-scented DIY blends mix:
- Cinnamon + clove + nutmeg
- Cassia + clove + ginger
- Cypress + white fir + sandalwood
- Wild orange + cinnamon + ginger
- Room Spray: To make your own pumpkin-spice room spray, add a few drops each of clove, ginger, orange, cardamom, and cinnamon essential oils to one cup of distilled water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spritz the air freshener around the room as needed for a burst of fall fragrance.
- Scented Pinecones: Bake pinecones in the oven to clean and dry them out. Infuse them with cinnamon by spritzing them with a mixture of cinnamon essential oil and water. When the pinecones are sufficiently scented, display them in a bowl or glass vase, or string them on a garland across your Capitol City Homes gas fireplace mantel for a subtle spicy scent. As guests enter your home, have them enjoy the scent with garlands strung across your mud bench.
Not into DIY scenting? Williams Sonoma has a number of fall scented collections, including its Pumpkin Spice Essentials Oils Collection and Spiced Chestnut Kitchen Essentials Kit. The retailer also has a number of autumn fragranced candles and potpourri blends.
Liven up your generously appointed front porch with a fresh doormat, an autumn-hued ribbon attached to a wreath, planters with mums and layers of imperfectly shaped pumpkin. Online retailer Wayfair provides tips (and links to shop its site) in Outdoor Fall Decor Ideas for Every Home. For additional inspiration, Better Homes and Garden magazine offers 7 Inviting Ideas for Fall Door Décor.
Dipping temperatures call for soft, fluffy pillows and piles of warm, cozy blankets to adorn beds throughout your Capitol City Home. This fall’s bedding trends include thick soft-fringed and tasseled blankets, velvet duvet covers, cable knit throw pillows, and luxurious down comforters. Monochromatic layers in greys, charcoals and navy are trending as is polka dot and exotic patterned linens. For added comfort, faux fur throws and blankets are now all the rage. You will want to linger in bed longer with some of Overstock.com’s collection of stylish and affordable fall bedding.
You cannot totally embrace fall without an adjustment to your playlists. As you linger on your back porch, take time to check out Billboard’s Fall 2020 Playlist: 20 Crisp Jams For Autumn for some season appropriate tunes.
Just in time for fall, publishers are lining bookshelves with good reads in every genre. What better way to enjoy the season than hunkered down in your Capitol City Home with a good book? Here are a few newly released treasures that we found.
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole (thriller)
- This Just Speaks to Me: Words to Live by Every Day by Hoda Kotb (collection of quotes, lessons, personal stories)
- The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes by Elissa R. Sloan
- One by One by Ruth Ware (thriller)
- Boop and Eve’s Road Trip by Mary Helen Sheriff (novel)
- Memorial by Bryan Washington (novel)
- One Life by Megan Rapinoe (memoir)
- I Would Leave Me If I Could by Halsey (collection of poetry)
Sometimes we need to take a break from our hurried lifestyles and relish the sights, sounds and smells of autumn. We hope our thoughts inspire you to enjoy the beauty of fall as much as you enjoy the beauty of your Capitol City Home in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Youngsville, Roxboro, Wendell, Zebulon, Middle Sex, Angier, Spring Lake, Mebane, Wilson, New Bern, Pittsboro, and Holly Springs, NC.